2010/10/24 Daxter <xovat...@gmail.com>:
> From my understanding, there is a fundamental flaw in p2p technologies like
> Freenet for those that want to deploy in highly-censored countries. That is,
> it's too obvious. The censor doesn't have to know what's being transmitted,
> only that /something/ is that's outside of their control. All they have to do
> is disallow the ports on which the technology runs. Torrenters can at least
> get around this by changing the port they're using; Freenet has no such
> option.

Hmm, can't find that option either. but there are
node.opennet.listenPort and node.listenPort (for Darknet) options in
freenet.ini

> From my understanding of internet communication protocols, the use of udp is
> too obvious; it stands out like a sore thumb. Why not tunnel the connection
> over tcp? Wouldn't that prevent potential censors from differentiating it
> from the rest of transmitted data? As well, wouldn't it solve the closed
> ports issue?

Transport plugins are planned for some remote future release (after
1.0). This will enable use of TCP, embedding Freenet data into HTTP
requests, or other protocols, I gather.