On 22/01/2011, at 7:55 AM, Dennis Nezic wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 11:51:35 -0700, Ray Jones wrote:
>>
>> If I understand correctly....
>>
>> UDP has no such thing as flow control. So even though your machine
>> reads only X packets per second, the sending machine is still sending
>> and you're still receiving. If the packets build up too far your
>> machine will drop them, but you've already used the bandwidth to get
>> them there before they were dropped!
>
> I agree it's a terrible waste -- but, I say, tough luck. Surely the
> senders will throttle back when they start seeing some of their packets
> not being acknowledged. (Like I said, we should avoid this situation as
> much as possible, but ultimately the user has to be in control. The
> network, selfish as this might sound, comes second!)

NO! We're using UDP - UDP packets have no acknowledgment. TCP would behave like
you describe, but UDP senders have no way of knowing that there's a problem.

Freenet itself acknowledges packets, and that's part of the rate limiting,
which obviously has some bugs. Not reading the packets will work for a while,
but when packets are read and ack'd the senders will burst again, not knowing
there's a limit. The only solution is to fix the limiter bugs, which is tough
for a project with so few developers.