On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 10:05 PM, Evan Daniel <evanbd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 9:39 PM, MyTwoCents <m2c at nym.panta-rhei.eu.org>
> wrote:
>  >
>  >  I was going to just post this on my flog (which I did) but decided that
>  >  since I've no idea if any devs read it, I want to be certain that it gets
>  >  SOME actual notice by developer types and thus posted it here also
>  >
>  >  I've been taking a bit of time lately to check in on 0.7 again and have
>  >  been trying out FMS.  I have to say that while the idea is a good one, has
>  >  a few things that need to be addressed. Specifically the process of
>  >  announcing new identities has problems.
>  >
>  >  1) The capcha images themselves have absolutely GOT to be changed.
>  >  Because: "You must have at least 1 identity created and have received the
>  >  SSK keypair for it from Freenet before setting trust.", I cannot post
>  >  messages yet, I have been able to read a few, including one:
>  >
>  >  Subject: Re: current CAPTCHAs suck
>  >  From: The Seeker at cI~w2hrvvyUa1E6PhJ9j5cCoG1xmxSooi7Nez4V2Gd4
>  >  Date: Thu, 01 May 08 21:31:52 -0000
>  >  V2Gd4>
>  >
>  >  That expresses the opinion that the captchas are more likely to be solved
>  >  by a program than a human.
>  >
>  >  Having spent a few hours trying in vain to read the damn things, I have to
>  >  say that I wouldn't be surprized if that were true.  Of course, I also
>  >  think that they were specifically designed to make life difficult for
>  >  people with vision impairments.
>  >
>  >  The images need to be something that an actual human will have little to
> no
>  >  trouble reading them. Unfortunately, the graphic abortions that are in use
>  >  now are apparently impossible for me to read, since I've been "solving"
>  >  (not that I know if they're 'solved' or just wrong.) them for the better
>  >  part of a week now and have yet to get my identity announced.
>  >
>  >  Which brings me to #2.
>  >
>  >  How about some feedback?
>  >
>  >  Specifically, when I "solve" a captcha, how about telling me if I got it
>  >  right or not?  My thought, present captchas one at a time.  Allow user to
>  >  fill in and submit.  If incorrect, TELL THE USER!!!, then present them
> with
>  >  a new one.  If it's correct, again TELL THE USER!!! then present them with
>  >  a new one.
>  >
>  >  This business of sitting here going nearly blind trying to read faint,
>  >  almost invisible characters is bad enough, not even knowing if I actually
> [...]

Addendum 1: The same offer is open to anyone competent to write an
email that gets past my spam filter.  Include your FMS Id and I'll
announce it with a trust rating of 50.  Offer valid until someone
decides to be an asshat and abuse it.

Addendum 2: There is a potential identity leak if you run customized
easier captchas and have multiple identities.  I believe I have a
solution locally, but you're on your own on this one.

Evan Daniel