On 11/23/05, David Strout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>> first I get a CD boot time message that is
>> concerning.
>> acd0: FAILURE-READ-BIG MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x02
>> ascq=0xd0 error=4 <ABORTED>

>Try a different CD Rom reader.
I have duplicated this issue on several CD readers
(old, new, all working fine w/ FreeBSD STABLE,
Linux, WIN32) ... maybe a little more effort/info
huh.

>> second restore from previous bkup gave issues
>> (touched by 0.94 ver.)

>Need more information.  This tells me nothing.

MORE INFO !!
OK, I'll give you that one ... system becomes
unreachable from LAN .. no ping, no SSH & no logs
to indicate that there was something wrong.  But
if on the console (NOT COM1 EITHER) then I can
ping other LAN hosts.

>> seeing sporatic routing errors on a reboot
>> cannot find default x.x.x.1 router on LAN pfS
>> is NOT the default router for LAN on my net)

>Huh?  This makes no sense.  Is there a translator
>in the house?

I suggest maybe you read before ridicule, and
maybe
get some rest

>> when I check the use COM1 9600,8,N,1 the PC
>> locks tight and all processing stops.

>Cannot reproduce this problem.
I HAVE reproduced it on several PC's -> Dell,
generic, HP ... what more do you need .. IT'S
BROKEN, period !!

>> same machine as have used forever and console
>> on serial use to work great in the early 0.8x
>> days.

Touche' see the above

>> have noticed varying boot up issues, hang on

>Cannot reproduce this either.
This tells me nothing ! So, I must be seeing
things ... right!

Maybe an "update" slowdown is in order ... or
maybe you need more sleep, but at any rate I take
great care in testing and plowing through ALL of
the features and try to "CONSTRUCTIVELY"
contribute to the project where I can, and am not
feelin' great about the progress and path pfS has
taken .... to much update and to little stability.

I am very aware that it is an "alpha" software
and fully expect bugs and things to creep in and
out ..... but the last several releases are by far
the worst I've seen since the 0.5x & 0.6x revs.

Also I might add that I have been very careful NOT
to change any hardware on any of the 5 test
machines I have in the lab. All are EXACTALLY the
same as they were when I first set up the lab and
started testing w/ pfSense and m0n0wall, over a
year ago.

Lab enviro:
2 cisco 2924's
2 cisco 2912's
1 cisco fasthub 10/100
1 Dell GX150
1 Dell GX260
1 generic AMD athalon 750
1 IBM Thinkpad 600e
1 HP presario
1 compaq proliant (not used often)

I think I have a pretty good handle on both the
m0n0wall and pfSense distros and am by far NOT a
newbe to either Linux or FreeBSD .... so that
being said, your work is GREATLY appreciated, but
your snide, one-handed responses ARE NOT!

Let's try to be constructive so as to the benefit
of all who are on the lists/forums.

Respecfully,
--
David L. Strout