On 11/27/05, David Strout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 11/23/05, David Strout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >> first I get a CD boot time message that is
> >> concerning.
> >> acd0: FAILURE-READ-BIG MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x02
> >> ascq=0xd0 error=4 <ABORTED>
>
> >Try a different CD Rom reader.
> I have duplicated this issue on several CD readers
> (old, new, all working fine w/ FreeBSD STABLE,
> Linux, WIN32) ... maybe a little more effort/info
> huh.

These problems are from FreeBSD.  I would suggest downloading FreeBSD
6 release and if it exhibits the same behavior, open a pr.   We do not
maintain the FreeBSD distribution, they do.

> MORE INFO !!
> OK, I'll give you that one ... system becomes
> unreachable from LAN .. no ping, no SSH & no logs
> to indicate that there was something wrong.  But
> if on the console (NOT COM1 EITHER) then I can
> ping other LAN hosts.

Sounds like another FreeBSD issue.  This does not happen on any of my
10 test machines.

> I suggest maybe you read before ridicule, and
> maybe
> get some rest

Again, what you said doesn't make sense.  Maybe if you could show some
of the logs it would be more clear.

> >Cannot reproduce this problem.
> I HAVE reproduced it on several PC's -> Dell,
> generic, HP ... what more do you need .. IT'S
> BROKEN, period !!
> Touche' see the above

Sounds like another FreeBSD issue.  Sounds like once FreeBSD hit
release, your machine no longer like it.  See my first response.

> >> have noticed varying boot up issues, hang on
>
> >Cannot reproduce this either.
> This tells me nothing ! So, I must be seeing
> things ... right!

If your using carp then its on the final carp holdown timer which
lasts 45 seconds.

> Maybe an "update" slowdown is in order ... or
> maybe you need more sleep, but at any rate I take
> great care in testing and plowing through ALL of
> the features and try to "CONSTRUCTIVELY"
> contribute to the project where I can, and am not
> feelin' great about the progress and path pfS has
> taken .... to much update and to little stability.

A *LOT* of work has been happening lately to get us to release.  I
would suggest waiting for the final release.

> I am very aware that it is an "alpha" software
> and fully expect bugs and things to creep in and
> out ..... but the last several releases are by far
> the worst I've seen since the 0.5x & 0.6x revs.

No pain, no gain.

> Also I might add that I have been very careful NOT
> to change any hardware on any of the 5 test
> machines I have in the lab. All are EXACTALLY the
> same as they were when I first set up the lab and
> started testing w/ pfSense and m0n0wall, over a
> year ago.

See  my first response.  please test a normal FreeBSD 6 cd on this machine.

Scott