To clarify further...

In this situation, we are downgrading to a T1 (1.5Mbit/1.5Mbit) connection from
a new service provider. The current connection is 3Mbit/3Mbit, works, but is
insanely expensive (way more than twice the price). Locked into a service
agreement. Switching will basically save enough money to not have to lay a
person off... So it's pretty important than this works acceptably.

During this new firewall installation, someone decided to run Windows Updates
on a four computers. Previously, this would not have choked the network, but
with the new firewall (and new T1), it is choking it. Choking it dead. The four
machines appear to contend for connectivity but after a few minutes, a couple
of them just stall, one slows way down to a crawl and another stills keeps
going (slower). Trying to browse the web on another computer is pretty much
impossible. It's all bogged down.

I have removed the dual WAN situation from the puzzle. Restored Factory
Defaults and set up pfSense with a single IP and default rules. It is still
doing this.

Unfortunately, I'm really not sure if this saturation is exactly what I should
be expecting... I've never really had this slow a network nor have I had the
need to bog it down, so I've never run into this. Unfortunately, this isn't
acceptable so I need to find a solution. I would have throught that pfSense
would be able to evenly distribute the requests an dataflow.

I did replace the pfSense box with a cheapo DD-wrt router, just to see if the
same results happen. And they did... 1.5Mbit cap maxed out... crawling updates,
unable to browse the web.

I was looking at maybe Traffic Shaping, but I am confused as to if I need to go
that far. For some reason my mind is locked on the idea that the firewall
should be able to do this almost as a default. Just distribute the load...
basically divide the connection evenly.... I don't think 4 machines running
windows update should cripple internet access to everyone else..

This is a small paper publishing company. Their web based CRM is hosted
off-premises (so access to this needs to be quick all the time). Sales people
browse the web (so quick access is always needed, but CRM is more important).
The publishing department FTP files regularly (up and down, we don't want them
saturating the connection and affecting everyone). Email is hosted externally
(same thing). VPN access is needed (wouldn't want that to saturate it). Web
Radio, YouTube, etc... This office houses about 20 people.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

ChuckM