Not that it helps much, but I have had severe problems with the fxp driver
under BSD/pfsense. I mentioned this a while back and Chris suggested that
this was only in a few snapshots. Not being one to argue with a
support/developer because I am in awe with this project, but I can replicate
traffic flow issues easily on the Pro100's with the fxp driver in any 1.2.x
release. I have a

For me the issue was exactly like you are describing. Can connect and
everything appears OK, but just zero traffic flow. Nothing useful in logs.
Then all of a sudden it would start passing traffic, but then get sketchy
and eventually stop again. Something like a simple ping from LAN to WAN
would fail 20% of the time,,, but ping of the interfaces was always fine.

I moved to the GT giganics and all my pfsense boxen are bullet proof.

Cheers,

Tim