This is a poke in the dark, but I ran into a number of Xbox live issues with a
3G Router setup. The Xbox worked fine on the cable connection (which is what we
were getting rid of) but once we hooked it up to the 3G Router it would not
work. The 3G router was controlled by the ISP and so I have no access to make
changes to it.

Logging into Xbox Live did not work and it was complaining that the MTU size
was incompatible... looking further into it, it appears that there is no fix
for this (SOL). Since I have not access to the router, I couldn't adjust the
MTU size and the ISP wasn't interested in helping resolve this issue.

In an effort to trick the Xbox into not knowing the MTU directly, I placed a
Linksys Router in between the 3G Router and the Xbox... the MTU complaint
stopped on the Xbox... logging in to play a game worked fine. Multiplayer
worked. But there were still some problems playing in specific groups, some
servers not showing up, etc... it got it working, but was still slightly wonky.

I would suggest you look at the MTU size, it is possible that the Xbox is
unaware or somehow doesn't know the MTU size of the WAN connection (as if it's
hooked up to the Linksys above), so it doesn't complain and is
connecting/running like above, but not too well because of MTU upstream from it.

Regards,

Chuck