I did mention 'hard hats' in my original post.
But the point bears emphasising more explicitly than my
whimsy. Thanks Dave (and Peter).

We _do_ use safety 'chains' .. though some non-rattling
evolution of the idea.
(On which note: lighting stands are already littered with
rattling elements compared with mic. stands:)

We have also moulded a loud speaker base, and now have
a Silastic (elastomer) positive of a speaker base from which
we can make troughed wedges . . . but even so would
still use safety chains (with or without a hard hat ;-)>.

The problem with sandbagging/weighting the base is
--as ever-- portabilty. Three dimensional rigs just
aren't fun to transport (or set up with the angle
(elevation, that is) measuring and bespoke
matrices ...).

Michael