> I'm designing a mid-size (8 to 12-ch) ambisonics setup, using small active
> near-field studio monitors such as Fostex PM04, Focal CMS40, BM-5A...(the
> exact model will depend on the funding I'll get for this project).

Mmm, I was involved in sourcing gear for a twelve speaker project.
I am hoping my colleague who did the project will join in with her
more practical comments.

We decided, for better or worse, to put one speaker on the floor.
This means (if you want anything vaguely) symmetrical, that you
need one speaker at twice the height of the seated human ear.
That means a lighting stand that is not the smallest in the
catalogue (indeed for horizontal-only arrays its minimum
height is just about 'standing ear height').

There are tall mic stands, but the only ones without arms (the
joints would never take a speaker's weight) are more expensive
than lighting stands.

Four or six lighting stands take up some space in a big car;-)>

The projects seems to be sliding towards horizontal only,
but there was/is a plan to make wedges to direct floor and
high speakers towards the centre*. Depending how you do this
you may need to provide hard hats to the audience.

We just made 'bird tables' to put the top speakers on. About
200 mm of broom handle to slot into the lighting stand, and
a approx 15-20 mm thick horizontal shelf (the right sized
drill and the two glue together with no clamping).
I said it was a quick expt'l project, but was over-ruled and
the bird-tables were painted black ... must admit it is an
enormous aesthetic improvement.

OT: All this was to experiment with Jörn Nettingsmeyer's
scheme for 'digital room correction' (an unfotunate term,
not of JN's making, as the 'room' is not corrected;-(>-
Must say the results are impressive.

If you want sizes/models of stands, the invoices are
somewhere on my desk ... do ask.
Hope to report on the DRC stuff in a bit, but again, do
ask if relevant.

Michael

* and obviously you need a different set of wedges for
each rig radius ... but we have moulds of our speaker bases
and think we have made the 'hard hats' historic ... ... !
MC