Last night I coded up a quick experiment in using the Kemar mannequin
HRTFs published by Algazi, et al. at UC Davis.
  http://interface.cipic.ucdavis.edu/sound/hrtf.html

It is very simple...  simulate Blumlein pickup and playback though
speakers at +/- 45 degrees, low-pass at 800 Hz, and use
cross-correlation to estimate the ITDs, and compare to the natural
hearing case.  The result is here

   http://www.ai.sri.com/ajh/ITDs_Blumlein_vs_Natural/

I was pleasantly surprised that such a simple experiment yield such a
clean result.

The 800 Hz LPF is needed to get reliable results from the
crosscorrelation.  As you point out, humans may use the higher
frequency information (I'd like to see a citation for that), but the
point here is that accurate ITDs are present in the ear signals in
stereo playback even though the soundfield has been sampled at a
single point in space.

The MATLAB code is here:
   http://www.ai.sri.com/ajh/ITDs_Blumlein_vs_Natural/itd_blumlein_plot.m

As Eric has pointed out, Braanch (and many others) have done much more
on this, for example:

Braasch, Jonas, "A Binaural Model to Predict Position and Extension of
Spatial Images Created with Standard Sound Recording Techniques", AES
Preprint 6610.  http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=13352

  http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=13352

--
Aaron Heller (hel...@ai.sri.com)