Stefan/Robert/et al:

> Right on! Apple clearly wants to take over the world.

Not quite.  Apple is in fact very pleased to be a *minority*  market-share
holder -- as it is in everything except iTunes and iPads (for the  moment)
-- just as long as it gets UNNATURAL margins from its  products.

As perhaps the only ex-Wall Street analyst on this list, I can tell you
that Apple's success has been founded on two principles 1) get your
semiconductors at "below" market prices (to drive up gross margins, at the
expense
of all the other non-fab semi-conductor buyers) and 2) keep the system
closed (so that the minority in the market who prize this end-to-end
engineering
will be happy *plus* to ensure that you have no direct competitors.)

And, it's worked pretty well . . . however, they will inevitably run out of
 CHEAP-chip "string."

In particular, IBM, Motorola, Intel and Samsung (i.e. the world's "largest"
 semiconductor shops) have all "gotten over" having Apple as a
semiconductor  customer.

Btw, Apple's shift from Power to the Intel architecture was a direct
result of IBM and Motorola refusing to "subsidize" Apple anymore, whereas (for
while) Intel was willing.

Then (for a while) Samsung was willing . . . now Hynix and others?

For what it is worth (which could be a lot, if you like to gamble shorting
AAPL), gross margins at Apple cannot remain so far outside the industry
norm  forever and at the first sign of declines, the stock will fall and never
again  regain its lofty valuation.

Or so I used to tell my hedge-fund clients . . . <g>

Mark Stahlman
Brooklyn NY