The original conception of the Grand Duchy of Ambisonia was that it was a fairy
tale place where magic happens, where you could do fantasmagorical things with
sound... but you couldn't bring all the magic back with you into this world.
Furthermore, time is different there - you pop in through the portal in Dave
Malham's cupboard, to do a quick bit of wiring, or software, or production...
and when you popped out, days, weeks months had passed! - if you went in to
have a two or three day stint, setting up a 16 speaker rig (that was a lot in
those days), when you came out, the season had changed and everyone looked a
bit older.

So, I agree that it's sometimes touted as a universal panacea, leading to
inevitable disappointment.

Strictly, it is a phantom image system. A phantom image is not physically the
same as a real source. For moving perceivers especially, the distinction
becomes clear very quickly - precedence effects and all that.

So, for precise control of perceptual effect via phantom imagery, the listening
circumstances have to be tightly controlled. If you want a sound to come from a
particular place, no matter where the perceiver actually is, then it had better
come from that place.

However - there is a slight problem: for many sounds, a speaker sounds all to
like, er, a speaker. Especially, if you're making the sound of a large 'thing'
(which would have 'facingness' because of own-body occlusion) using a small
point source device, it still doesn't quite do the trick - and of course, if
you want it to move, well...

Meanwhile, if you want to use ambisoncs as a soundfield projector system, where
precise imagery is not the point (music festivals, clubs,  museum ambience etc)
the it's excellent for that - you can hear there's stuff all around, moving,
near and far (to some extent), just not pinpoint images. For the latter, you'd
probably combine ambisoncs with discrete speaker feeds (the 'speaker-ishness'
of individual speakers is ameliorated when there's a lot going on - it's a
cognitive thing that isn't really described in the literature) and /or VBAP

Cheers
ppl
Dr. Peter Lennox

School of Technology,