Eric Carmichel wrote:
>> Two-channel playback (both convention and binaural) is here to stay for a
>> while, so optimizing Ambisonics for stereo is desirable to me. In fact, one
>> of my favorite recordings from the late 80s was made with the band (The
>> Cowboy Junkies) circled around a Calrec Soundfield mic. I've never heard
>> whether the Trinity Session recording was released in a surround format, or
>> if the mic's hardware decoder converted straight to stereo from the get go.

The Trinity Session is CD UHJ encoded, so
can be decoded to surround sound using an
Ambisonic UHJ decoder.  However, when you
do this, the performers are (correctly) located
in strange places.  This suggests that the UHJ
was not intended to be decoded.  Instead,
decode it using the Super Stereo mode.  This
keeps the performers at the front where they
"belong", while still surrounding the listener
with the ambience of the Trinity Church.

>From memory, the recording engineer has
said that the output from the Soundfield mic
went straight into a UHJ encoder, and only two
channels were recorded.  If true, this means
that the recording can not exist in B-Format.

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org