I apologize if people took offense. But the issue is serious.
It is surely acceptable if people want to make recordings
that do not sound like what was really there. This does
not interest me personally all that much, but to each his own
artistically.
But surely no one would argue that this freedom to make recordings
sound as one wishes relieves the field of audio of the obligation
to know how one woudl reproduce in the best way possible the
thing that was really there if one wanted to .

Variations from reality ought surely to be based on knowing
how to reproduce the reality first and then introducing the
variations. One does not bend pitches for artistic effect
until one is able to play in tune, so to speak.

If people want to treat recording as a pure art form
where one simply judges the results on aesthetic grounds.
it would be hard to say that was wrong. But it surely
takes recording out of the realm of science.

To my mind, offensive or no, it remains startling to me
that there is no recorded demo of how various stereo mike
techniques reproduce the sound of a pink noise source at
various spots around the recording stage, for example.
Surely people might want to know whether the mike
technique was changing the perceived frequency response of sources
depending on where the sources were?
How can people NOT want to know this?

And yet, while one can do theoretical calculations, practical
demonstrations are hard to find. In fact, I am unaware
of anywhere where such an experiment has been recorded
and provided to the public.

This is just one of many experiments that would be easy
enough to do.

I agree with EC that a complete analysis of
the relationship between recording and musical sound
 would be a tremendous
task, perhaps one that is not even well defined. But simple
things like how does pink noise response change with respect
to position are not hard to analyze at all. One just needs
to do it.

This is how science works. One works out simple cases
first. The fact that no one knows if there are infinitely
many primes pairs with difference 2(eg 17 and 19) does
not make it irrelevant to know that there are infinitely many
primes. One answers simple questions first.

Except in audio, where no simple question ever seems to
get definitively answered and every almost discussion turns into
mush by means of enlarging the complexity of the situation
to the point that there are so many variables that no analysis is
possible without wild difficulties, if at all.

Personally, I would just like to know which mike technique
does what to the tonal character of sources at different
locations around the recording stage. If you don't care, you
don't care. But I wish I had a disc where I could listen
and find out. I find it hard to believe that other people
are not interested in this.

Science works like that:one step at a time. Assuming that
people are interested in science.

Years ago I decided to learn the piano(I am a violinist!)
just to see how it would go, by learning the Rachmaninoff 3rd
piano concerto --a measure at a time. As you can imagine I
did not get very far! (the first statement of the theme
went ok but soon, no soap). Of course this was a joke!
I knew from experience of learning to play the violin
that one learns the basics step by step and builds
up to the complex pieces over a long time.

Audio seems to be missing a lot of the basics.

Robert

PS There is a good bit of this sort of thing about
LOCALIZATION. But not so much about timbre.