Hugely long. But one point cries out for comment:
It is simply nonsense to say that it would not
be useful to have the results
available for pink noises sources at various
spots on the stage recorded via various microphone
positions. It is well known and completely established
that pink noise is a very good indicator of general
tonal character. It is for instance by far the most
reliable identification tag for different loudspeakers
or different EQ settings. That one can become
fatigued--take a break occasionally!

This is just not true to say that this would not give
a lot of information.

In fact, David's whole response is just more
of the kind of argumentation that prevents
audio from getting anywhere. People seem
unable to understand how analyitical thought works.
One starts with simple situations and answerable
questions: What does this microphone technique
do to the frequency response of a standaidzed source
located at various positions?

It is silliness to say that this is not information.
It is also silliness to say that this is the
only information one needs. But the former silliness
is worse because no one would think the latter.

The truth is that the field or recording seems almost
intent upon keeping their methods intellectually mushy.
It is as if they do not want to know how things work.

And the really odd thing is that other people in
the sound world are not like this. Auditorium
acousticians try like crazy to figure out what
does what in concert hall sound. They do a good job too
(Harris got Benaroya to match Vienna GMVS reverb time
with in 0.1 secs bottom to top--try that with mushy methods).
And people who make and adjust instruments study
constantly the effects of things. All violinists know
which strings do what to the sound. It is part of our
work. Knowning such things does not make life less
"artistic"--it makes it possible to advance.

Only recording(and playback) seems to be attached to
the idea that no one ought really to know anything.
No one who has made a recording has failed to notice
that unexpected and complex things matter. Blumlein
miking a one point can sound quite different from
the same at another point not far away for example.

But once again, a field progresses by analyzing its work
one step at a time not be having a club of people
who just mess around with the ways they have always
messed around and say that no analysis is possible because
everything is so complicated. This is the sort of thing
that the mush minded said about genetics say, before
it began to be figured out. "Oh we shall never understand
how things are inherited, it is all so complicated and hidden".

To return to the main point, I think it is a basic misunderstanding
to say that how a microphone technique records a pink noise
source at different spots on a stage is irrelevant information.
I think it is very relevant indeed. A journey of ten thousand
miles begins with a single step. That would be a reasonable
first step in understanding microphone techniques(and microphones).

And it is surely a most basic misunderstanding to say that pink
noise response is not a useful indicator of sound. Exactly the opposite
is true. It is the most reliable and accurate one if one must
have a single source--it is a demonstrated fact that it is
for example the signal that gives the best identification of which loudspeaker is which when comparing blind two similar but different
speaker.

Robert