Matthias Kronlachner wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am currently working on a 24-loudspeaker installation in an old
> observatory of Vilnius University.
> Maybe someone has suggestions on how to distribute those 24 loudspeakers.
> The installation is intended to be used for experimentation and small
> concerts of electroacoustic music, preferably with Ambisonics.
>

> There is a very nice high chair which allows one person to sit more or
> less in the center of the imaginary sphere.
> Therefore this seat allows loudspeaker placement in the lower hemisphere.
>
> But the installation should also work for people sitting or standing on
> the floor.

In general, for Ambisonics, you should
distribute the speakers as evenly as possible.
Aim for the faces of a platonic solid; visit:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonic_solid

Ambisonics works for listeners outside the
sphere of speakers as well as inside.
However, it does not work for listeners *on*
the surface of the sphere (unless you are
using third-order or higher).

So, distribute the speakers evenly and, if
possible, use higher-order.

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org