Thank you for all suggestions!

I am also aware of t-design [1] for even distribution.
Does somebody have practical experience with those, except for virtual loudspeaker arrangements?

Fons' 1+6+8+6+1 seems to be a good and easy to mount start.
Do you see a problem in increasing the number of speakers for the middle ring, for 4th/5th order 2d playback?
(1+6+9+6+1 or 1+6+11+6+1)
Or is this middle ring afterwards "incompatible" with the 3rd order periphonic setup?

I do have third and fourth order material as well.
I want to use this place to test my Ambisonics (ambix) Plug-ins which currently go up to 5th order.
But of course I'd also like to listen/work with first order recordings.

Anyway, as Dave pointed out there might be a lot to try out and just listen.
But it's always good to have some opinions before starting to mount speakers.

Matthias

[1] http://www2.research.att.com/~njas/sphdesigns/