On 2014-03-05, seva, soundcurrent mastering wrote:

yes i believe Ambisonics (and real life) would be 4D. that is a traditional University definition of time-based media (film, video, sound).

Heh, you might argue that mono is 0D, pantophony 1D, and periphony 2D, based on the intrinsic dimensionality of the emitting manifold and/or the minimal parametrization of direction. If you just *have* to add amplitude control -- nowadays of course not a given -- you just got upto 3D. So why on earth do we need four channels for B-format? Well, that's about representation theory and the role of time; if you want to assign a physical interpretation to that, it'd have to do with direction of propagation, and the possibility of standing fields.

The sanest way I can think of it'll is to think of mono as 0D, stereo as .5D, pantophony as 1D, periphony as 2D and filling up the whole space with emitters as 2.5D, since it in theory yields unlimited parallax as well. No such thing as 3D audio can exist, because an intrinsically 3D emitter would require a 4+1D space to radiate into. ;)
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-40-3255353, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2