I'm watching these developments with interest due to my activities in virtual worlds...

Indeed, as we're talking about VR headsets here, where head-tracking is vital for the visual operation, I wouldn't worry about that being available for audio - it's already there and I don't see how you could do a VR device without it. Just listening what happens to the audio stage on headphones in a current virtual environment such as Second Life suggests that the addition of head tracking would make existing models work fine.

Whether or not VR content producers will bother to develop more detailed spatial sound models is another question, of course.

[Actually, I must say that at this point I am wondering how VR headsets will get around the issue of eye convergence without focus shift, which is likely to be a much bigger problem than anything in the audio arena :) ]

-_R