From: Sursound [sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu] On Behalf Of Bo-Erik Sandholm
[bo-erik.sandh...@ericsson.com]
Sent: 20 November 2014 09:30
To: Surround Sound discussion group
Subject: Re: [Sursound] Oculus Rift Visual Demo + Ambisonic Audio Available?

Some of the current subject was vitalized by me trying to be ironic about how
non ambisonic guys are trying to solve the sound field recording problem.

Originally there was not, and I am not sure there currently exist a solution
for sound and picture having a coherent scene movement (controlled by head
direction) for Oculus Rift and like VR viewer in video and sound environments
other than those controlled by game engines.

I want to listen to realistic FOA tetramic recordings over headphones if
possible.
My thinking is strongly impacted by the current availability of a < 20 USD 3D
direction sensors and low cost processing power.

Pointer on howto implement low cost head tracker including headtracking
binaural software http://www.matthiaskronlachner.com/?p=2091

Low cost processing: M805 1.5GHz (Cortex-A5) android 4.4 stick for < 40 USD.
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MK808B-Plus-Amlogic-M805-Quad-Core-Android-4-4-Mini-TV-Dongle-1G-8G-WIFI-H-265-HW-Decode-Bluetooth-DLNA-Miracast---Black-337068.html
 note to self does this ARM v5 version support  NEON answer = Yes.

I believe there are at least a few glaring problems in the way binaural is
generated via HRTF's currently.

I think head tracking is part of the solution. That is that the sound field
decoding parameters to binaural change when you move your head.
 - the goal of adding head tracking with binaural listening is to get to the
status that the sound field is stationary and externalized .
 - Personally for me listening to others binaural recordings with inear
microphones there can an experience like listening to a vertical sound field
slice/surface trough the ears, that is a bit externalization to the sides and
up and down but no depth!
 - Introducing head tracking controlled rotation of the sound field before
ambisonic to binaural conversion  enables the sound field to stay in the
"initial position" when the listener moves the head in all directions.

Things having potential for improvement are in my opinion:
 - HRTF's are not individual, maybe not such large problem can appearently be
adapted to during listening, is the ear to ear distance most important?
 - In current state of art all HRTF's are created with the live victim locked
in a head brace and the whole body stationary as sound source is rotated
horizontally / vertically in relation to the subject or in worst case the
subject is a decapitated kunstkopf!
 - Maybe we should add a separate info channel for "torso tracing" in addition
to the head tracing. See Note 1
 -

Note 1
I took a look in the mirror :-)
When turning the head or nodding, the distance from my shoulders to the ear
channels stay the same, more or less.
When nodding sideways (is that english?) the distance to the shoulders changes
drastically.

Today on my walk to work through a park, I walked past a distant white noise
point source (a large fan in an air cooling installation).
I decided to do a small psychoacoustic experiment with my HRTF's :-).
- 1- I rotated my whole body in relation to the sound source as if I had a head
brace.
- 2- I rotated my whole torso in relation to the sound source with my head
directed towards the sound source.
- 3- I rotated my head in relation to the sound source with stationary torso.
- 4- I forgot to nod sideways :-)
The only sound change I could notice was for case -2-, there was a large
noticable impact on the white noise spectra, as I am not a musician I am not
able to specify the frequency range that was mostly impacted.

I think this is a strong indication that head movement in relation to the Torso
should be added to HRTF processing for binaural sound!
Maybe it can be implemented and tested for a special case, that is:
 - HRTF's created for a fixed torso with the head turned instead of the whole
person?
 - Can this be created with the best resolution in the forwards listening
sphere for optimization?

Best Regards
Bo-Erik Sandholm
Stockholm Sweden