actually, I can hear birds downwards from my balcony - not directly below, but
quite steeply below - but they are real birds, not an artificial sound field.

But as to whether our acuity "below" is as good as elsewhere - well - it's not
that great upwards (minimum audible angle about 10 degrees? - can't remember a
reference - anyone?) as against dead ahead (0 degrees azimuth, elevation) where
the theoretical best is in the order of 1 - 2 degrees (ITDs, in the lab -
Mills, 1950-something)

Naturally, own-body shadowing at hf (especially if one is too fond of beer) is
an important consideration.

One can understand that we're not "fully 3-D" - we live on the ground and this
consistent regularity might be expected to be incorporated phylogenetically
(species level) as well as ontogenetically (individual
experience-and-development)

Birds have evolved with quite different environmental challenges. They are
probably better at vectoring movements, and if they could converse, probably
would not have the same kind of "azimuth + elevation" thinking that we do

But the key point in all this is that head movement and locomotion are
intrinsic to our perceptual performance - we're simply not static receivers of
signals. So "down" is quite easily discernible in the same way that front-back
reversals (and other manifestations of "cones of confusion") can be  quickly
disambiguated with a bit of movement, in the wild.

So the "down problem" in many 3-d sound systems is likely to be something
else...
Dr Peter Lennox

School of Technology,
Faculty of Arts, Design and Technology