I have many molds and casts of my ears and head in different materials. I can, for instance put my face ( in plaster ) on the back of my head. Once you start with something that works for you, your own natural hearing, for example, it is remarkably difficult to break, or understand. How would you know whether when you tilt your head whether the image stays in place wrt to the room because your brain has adjusted to the changed HRTF or whether it does not care. Having a working model to play with is quite useful.