From: Sursound [mailto:sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu] On Behalf Of David Pickett
Sent: 30 March 2016 11:45
To: eero....@dlc.fi; Surround Sound discussion group <sursound@music.vt.edu>
Subject: Re: [Sursound] OT Stereo stage width - Was: Static stereo source in
rotating soundfield, possible?

At 11:54 30-03-16, Eero Aro wrote:

>If 90 degrees between the speakers works for you, fine. Most likely the
>commercial recordings you are listening to, have been monitored with an
>60 degrees angle, as that has been the "standard" setup in studios for
>more than 60 years. It didn't happen when 5.1 came up. On the contrary,
>the working group that defined the 5.1 setup, started from a center
>channel and a good stereo image in front that works for most people.
>
>As Dave Malham says, there must be AES papers where this 60 degrees has
>been taken from.

As you say: it goes back further than the AES: I would look at old copies of
Wireless World or Proc IEE/IRE!

We used approx. 60 degrees at Abbey Rd in the late 60s, largely dictated by the
size of the control rooms.

David

For all FOI requests please contact:   f...@derby.ac.uk
All other Contacts are at http://www.derby.ac.uk/its/contacts/