Marc Lavallée, Eric Benjamin, and I put together a Trifield (three speaker
stereo) plugin and demo'ed it a Burning Amp last fall. It is hosted at

   https://bitbucket.org/ajheller/trifield/overview

It is written in Faust so can be compiled for a number of different hosts,
but we provide precompiled VST plugins for Windows and MacOS in the
download folder.

There are also some plots that use Gerzon velocity and energy localization
vectors (rV and rE) to analyze, +/-45 deg stereo vs Trifield  vs +/- 30 deg
stereo that shed some light on why "the +/- 30 deg stereo triangle" works
well.

Aaron (hel...@ai.sri.com)
Menlo Park, CA  US