On 09/15/2016 07:50 PM, umashankar manthravadi wrote:
Dear Fernando

Hi!,

Some months ago I had figured out how to use my very low cost 3 d
printer for printing (in two parts) the tetrahedral holder for 14 mm
capsules. It is about the smallest structure you can make for TSB 140s.
I had posted pictures and an STL file on micbuilders but there had been
no interest. Will you take a look, or would you like me to send them to
you ?

Sure, that would be great! I'm curious :-)
Or post them here...
Thanks,
-- Fernando

Windows 10

*From: *Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <mailto:na...@ccrma.stanford.edu>
*Sent: *Thursday, September 15, 2016 1:25 AM
*To: *Surround Sound discussion group <mailto:sursound@music.vt.edu>
*Subject: *[Sursound] leftover xmas ornaments?

Hi all,

I've been working on this project since November 2015, and at the time I
thought I would be done by Christmas, hence the subject line... (I was
very naive). The main motivation of the project was to have easy to
build and cheap microphone arrays for my students to use in class (@
CCRMA, Stanford)...

So, you can choose what you can use this for: Ambisonics themed Xmas
tree ornaments, 3d puzzles of platonic solids, big earrings for your
loved ones or, perhaps, microphone arrays.

I've been working on designs that are 3D printable as flat pieces on
cheap or medium priced printers and are assembled and glued together
like 3d puzzles, starting with a regular tetrahedral first order
microphone and then moving on to Eric Benjamin and Aaron Heller's
Octathingy (8 capsules) and a few more "platonic solid" designs (12 and
20 capsules, these last just to test the concept of even bigger 3d
puzzles - it works).

All models are written in Openscad (a 3d modeling programming language),
with most of the dimensions being parametric - the models are, after
all, just software. I spent a couple of weeks doing plain old geometry
on paper to try to get everything to fit just right...

I wrote a paper on the progress of the project so far for AES SFC (which
I regretfully was unable to attend), you can find it for now in my web
page - jump to the publications link[*]. I have a first working
prototype (calibration and measurements in the paper), I'm currently
working on two more and looking forward to testing the 8 capsule design.

A lot of work ahead (coding and hardware design, documentation, etc).
This turned out of be a black hole for any time I can throw at it.
Contributions welcome...

GPL Openscad code and Creative Commons licensed 3D models are available
here:

    https://cm-gitlab.stanford.edu/ambisonics/SpHEAR/

(there is also a low volume mailing list available, so far 0 messages :-)

You can also find a Kicad PCB design for the phantom power interface for
each capsule (they fit into the body of the latest design) and the
preliminary calibration software (GPL, written in Octave) for the
tetrahedral design. But of course everything needs better documentation.
Take a look, I included a few more pictures...

If you are tempted to build one be forewarned that it is a LOT of work :-)

Many in this list helped a lot (you know who you are, thanks!!), I would
not have gotten this far by walking alone.

Enjoy!
-- Fernando

[*] https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~nando/