Youd have to have "patches" of mems working in unison  I guess to get the
lower frequencies . You might be abvle to do soemthing interesting with the
ultrasonic methods the directional "zone" speakers use as well....

On 20 January 2018 at 12:12, Jörn Nettingsmeier <
netti...@stackingdwarves.net> wrote:

> On 01/19/2018 08:04 PM, Gary Gallagher wrote:
>
>> Wave field synthesis wall paper? How small does an an audio pixel have to
>> be?
>>

> The question is more like "how big can you make it?". An audio "pixel" of
> a square millimetre cannot produce meaningful audio frequencies if
> suspended in mid-air without a baffle, you would have to get somewhat close
> to the wavelength. So no million-channel audio interfaces either, I guess
> the approach would be to use lots of those pixels in unison. How you ensure
> good airtight coupling between them is one question, and the other is how
> much excursion you can get.
>
> Thiele-Small parameters for silicon cavities, anyone? :-D
>
> It's quite a moonshot actually, and if you start thinking about the
> complexities, that carbon nanosheet paper that came from China a few years
> back doesn't sound soo far-fetched anymore, where people were producing
> sound by heating surfaces with an extremely good heat conductivity (so its
> thermal cycles can be at audio frequencies). Problem there is 100% k2, as
> it's effectively a half-wave rectifier...
>

> --
> Jörn Nettingsmeier
> De Rijpgracht 8, 1055VR Amsterdam, Nederland
> Tel. +49 177 7937487
>
> Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Tonmeister VDT
> http://stackingdwarves.net

Dr. Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
Company Number : NI635217