Hi Justin,
    Back in 1999, a student of mine, Alexis Cohen, did his Masters on what
we then called "Hyperdense Transducer Arrays", an idea that I was kicking
around at the time - you can see a hint of it my June 1999 AES UK
conference paper "Homogeneous and Non-Homogeneous Surround Sound Systems",
though without the name. Basically, the idea is that as the angular acuity
of our hearing is about 1 degree at best we should have a speaker every
degree. In the paper I published a very rough and ready way of estimating
how many speakers you'd need which came to about 10000 (according to my
paper, I'm not thinking about re-calculating it just now!). We realised
that you didn't need to drive them individually if you spread DSP chips
about the array and fed these from a (very) HOA set of signals. The DSP's
each do decodes for the closest loudspeakers. Back of the envelope
calculations said it could done for a few millions (parts cost) even back
then. Alexis's proposed solution to the bass problem was to shade off the
order of the HOA as the frequency drops, resulting in the sound being
spread over more speakers. I'm almost certain that Ricardo (Lee) has
mentioned something similar in the past.  Anyway, none of this was ever
actually implemented but maybe now is the time for someone new to take up
the idea and run with it....

On 21 January 2018 at 11:55, Justin Bennett <j...@bmbcon.demon.nl> wrote:

> > On 20 Jan 2018, at 18:00, sursound-requ...@music.vt.edu wrote:
> >
> > Message: 6
> > Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 15:36:43 +0000
> > From: Augustine Leudar <augustineleu...@gmail.com>
> > To: Surround Sound discussion group <sursound@music.vt.edu>
> > Subject: Re: [Sursound] MEMS speakers
> >

> > Youd have to have "patches" of mems working in unison  I guess to get the
> > lower frequencies . You might be abvle to do soemthing interesting with
> the
> > ultrasonic methods the directional "zone" speakers use as well….
>
> That would be pretty cool - an adaptive system where for lower frequencies
> you use more audiopixels,
> for higher frequencies you use less, and of course the higher the
> frequency the more accurate localisation would be.
>
> best, Justin
>

> Justin Bennett
>
> jus...@justinbennett.nl
> www.justinbennett.nl
> http://jubilee-art.org/

As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University.

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by the University

Dave Malham
Honorary Fellow, Department of Music
The University of York
York YO10 5DD
UK

'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'