I have skimmed through it too. Nothing on curvature, but it’s very interesting
non the less.
It needs a thorough read through

One of the many encoding and decoding solutions at grabbed my attention  (it’s
very comprehensive) is:

'‘D’ Channel (as in WXYZD)
The ‘D’ channel will encode as a normalized distance which can as one example
be recovered as value of 0 (being in the head at the origin), 0.25 being
exactly in the near-field, and up to 1 for a source rendered fully in the
far-field. This encoding can be achieved by using an absolute value reference
such as 0 dBFS or by relative magnitude and/or phase vs one or more of the
other channels such as the “W” channel. Any actual distance attenuation
resulting from being beyond the far-field is handled by the B-Format part of
the mix as it would in legacy solutions

By treating distance m this way, the B-Format channels are functionally
backwards compatible with normal decoders by dropping the D channel(s),
resulting in a distance of 1 or “far-field” being assumed.

One method of encoding the D channel is to use relative magnitude of the W
channel at each frequency. If the D channel's magnitude at a particular
frequency is exactly the same as the magnitude as the W channel at that
frequency, then the effective distance at that frequency is 1 or “far-field.”
If the D channel's magnitude at a particular frequency is 0, then the effective
distance at that frequency is 0, which corresponds to the middle of the
listener's head. In another example, if the D channel's magnitude at a
particular frequency is 0.25 of the W channel's magnitude at that frequency,
then the effective distance is 0.25 or “near-field.” The same idea can be used
to encode the D channel using relative power of the W channel at each
frequency.'

It’s a DTS patent application too, so it also covers loads of options for
matrix-ing.

Happy Monday

Steve