Tom Smurdon and Peter Stirling of Oculus presented research on near-field HRTF
for VR at last fall's OC4. The video of that talk is available here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7mhXRB9PA4

From: Sursound <sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu> on behalf of
st...@mail.telepac.pt <st...@mail.telepac.pt>
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 8:12 PM
To: Surround Sound discussion group
Subject: Re: [Sursound] A submittal for a patent on Ambisonics?

Citando Augustine Leudar <augustineleu...@gmail.com>:

> Hi Jack,
>
>  Aside from ILDs, ITDs, I also wondered if the pinna was able to distinguish
>
>  very close sound sources due to the fact the wavefront would be much more
>
>  curved almost spherical to the degree that it would be different pressure
>
>  present at different folds of the pinna (ie  very close up  sound slike a
>
>  mosquito) . I dont think theres been much done on that...

Hi Augustine,

I think "there has been done quite a lot on that"... 😉

(Reproduction of near-field audio sources)

Beside of spherical waves (and their consequences) we should not
overlook that any high-frequency emitting (annoying) mosquito next to
your left ear would be heard much softer at your right ear, the head
shadow being even more relevant at close distances.

BR

Stefan

P.S.: It is important to know about the "depth" of a mosquito audio
object relative to your head, both in VR and in real life...