If someone is interested digging deeper into near field HRTFs, there's one
high resolution HRTF available at http://idaaudio.com/downloads/

Sofa format allows storing impulse responses at multiple distances and Spat
Revolution should be able to use that for rendering point sources.

Antti Vanne
OwnSurround Ltd / IDA Audio
CEO

Haapaniemenkatu 40