At 21:47 10-01-19, Paul wrote:

I replace a stereo file with a four-channel file (why waste bandwidth
on empty channels?).

I agree. But it seems that the only way I have of making aac mp4 files is to make them 5.1.

  My files are decoded to a square ("quad") speaker
layout, and play just fine in any browser on a system with correctly
set up multichannel audio.

Which browsers have you tested, Paul? How does one set up a browser to recognise 4.0?

With 5.1 Firefox and Chrome need no setting up for 5.1, and I assume that non-technological people wanting to listen to the files would prefer that.

David