Hi Ben and Joe
I appreciate your exchange and here's my two cents. Though I'm nervous
about exhauting others on this list, I decided to risk it rather than reply
off-list.

There's no single causal starting point of change in a living system like,
for example,  the Earth,  yet I hear you, Ben, that since economics
obviously drives so much, maybe it's the *key *causal point.  But it's also
true that some of the *key* causal points of economic systems are the
cultural assumptions, social norms  and groups' relationship to nature and
place that underlie the working principles of the economic systems, which
is  an important part of what the literature being referred to is talking
about.

So I see economics, culture, and relationship to nature and place as a
process of mutual causality. And real changework (and change study)
therefore has to be many-layered and multi-vocal, speaking not just to the
science and economics of the matter but to the assumptions and experiences
of the many constituencies and cultures
Elan

--

Elan Shapiro
Building Bridges Coalition

Now is the accepted time, not tomorrow, not some more convenient season. It
is today that our best work can be done and not some future day or future
year. It is today that we fit ourselves for the greater usefulness of
tomorrow. Today is the seed time, now are the hours of work, and tomorrow
comes the harvest and the playtime.   W.E.B. Du Bois

For more information about sustainability in the Tompkins County area, please
visit:  http://www.sustainabletompkins.org/
If you have questions about this list please contact the list manager, Tom
Shelley, at t...@cornell.edu.