> Alan,
>
> That's 1,058 #s external pressure. But there is also "negative" pressure
> between the plates
>
> Doesn't this mean that (external pressure x external surface area) +
> (internal "negative" pressure x internal surface area) = total force needed
> to sever the two plates?"

It's been a while since my high school physics class, but if I recall
correctly it's more a case of differential pressure x total surface
area.  I think you're probably also right about the "internal" surface
area, since the area inside the gasket would be the only area affected
by the vacuum.  The important part is to figure the surface area that
atmospheric pressure actually bears on to hold the plates together.
Even if it isn't a "perfect" vacuum, even a pretty good vacuum will get
close to the math.

> Or, if that logic isn't right, wouldn't the vacuum have to be complete - 0
> atmospheres - in order for the entire atmospheric pressure of 1,058 #s to be
> required to sever the plates?

Oh, for the full 1058#, certainly.  But even a "pretty good" vacuum will
get close to that.  It's just the differential pressure that holds the
plates together.  The absolute pressure isn't so important.

> Doesn't help that there are no leverage points for hands to grasp onto. With
> that thought, it might only take a pressure differential of maybe a pound or
> two (?) to keep the jocks from victory.

True.  The best part of the whole thing was watching a pair of 200#+
defensive linemen get red in the face trying to pull apart a pair of 6"
steel plates.  _That_ was funny!

> Just thinkin'. Not trying to be critical.
>
> So which working theory is correct?

All I can tell you is one of the rules that our physics teacher pounded
into our heads:  Fluids cannot be pulled, only pushed.  If you pull on a
fluid what you get is a vacuum.  If you push it then it'll find an area
of lower pressure and flow there.

But I do remember one time when a friend of mine put his hand over a
carburettor, and it sealed there.  The throttle linkage had gotten stuck
and that was the first thing he could think of to keep the engine from
blowing up.  He had a nice barbell shaped hickey on the palm of his hand
for about a week afterward where the vacuum caused blood vessels to
burst.

--
Aviation is more than a hobby.  It is more than a job.  It is more than
a career.  Aviation is a way of life.