This is from page 126 of the book _Glycerol_, by A.A. Newman (CRC,
1968):

"(iii) Alcoholysis

Alcoholysis, which involves the replacement of glycerol in the glyceride
molecule by a cheaper alcohol, such as methanol or ethanol, has
represented a means of obtaining glycerol in high concentration and
purity but such a process is only operated under the unusual
circumstances of requiring fatty acids in the form of their ethyl or
methyl esters, as in the manufacture of fatty alcohols by high-pressure
hydrogenation. The glycerol is recovered by evaporating the alcohol;
complete removal sometimes offers difficulties and such crude glycerols
are liable to contain some alcohol. "

That last part won't be news to anyone on this list, but it's the
business about "unusual circumstances" that intrigues me. I didn't know
that transesterification was an intermediate step in converting fatty
acids to fatty alcohols, but that being the case, why would the
circumstances be unusual? Fatty alcohols are used in detergent
manufacture - surely that was already well established in 1968? Perhaps
it's the high-pressure hydrogenation process that's unusual? Anybody
have the answer?

If I'm reading this right, there should be considerable information in
the detergent production literature that is directly transferable to
what we are doing (or in my case, trying to do).

Marc de Piolenc
Iligan, Philippines