>I just wanted to support the information provide below.  I am new to the
>list,

Welcome.

>very interested and passionate, but extremely put off by the
>unfortunate diatribes published by some of the participants.  It was
>disappointing to read the back and forth of the last couple of weeks
>regarding Cuba

Yes, unfortunate - a difficult person, now departed, with a record
for unreasonableness that quite a few listers can attest to.

>and more recently the discussion regarding wood alcohol and
>it's relative safety.

Not a diatribe, not even an argument, just a discussion, and a useful
one. It's a discussion list - one of the purposes of discussion is to
resolve points of disagreement, no? Disagreement is inevitable when
people share their different experiences. Thus we progress.

>I would like to support the person who wrote that
>persons who post should check their facts.

Yes, but the person who posted that hadn't, and apologised. Don't you
think it's important to get the record straight on such important
issues? After all, there IS a record - a much-consulted archives.

>Please if you feel the need to argue and attack one another personally, do
>that in one to one e-mails.

There was no personal attack. There was a need to get the facts
straight on-record, not off-list. Argument is welcome here, personal
attacks aren't. But please note that there are no strict rules and
regulations here, these are mature people who know how to behave and
seldom need to be told what to do.

>I think an unavoidable pitfall to working within this medium (e-mail) is the
>repetition of information.  I wish there was a way to keep from having to
>open the notes that say, "Thanks" or "I'll check it out" etc.

Those are a small minority, I'm not going to be schoolmarmish about
it. Re repetition, listers are encouraged to snip irrelevant matter,
and also the add-ons at the bottom, which proliferate with each
response. Reproduced more than 900 times as it's sent to each
subscriber, it all wastes a lot of bandwith, and also clutters up the
archives. Please take note.

Best wishes

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Tokyo
http://journeytoforever.org/

List owner

>I would like to thank Netronics and other for being so forth coming with
>information and ideas.  As a person with little time or resources to devote
>to experimenting myself, I hold those who provide the wisdom of their
>experience in very high regard.
>
>If your not lifting your leaning!
>
>Anthony Choice

<snip>