Hi Gerry

>Is there anyone out there who is making biodiesel with ethanol on a small
>scale (under 1,000 gallons a day)?
>
>Is it impracticle to make biodiesel with ethanol on a small scale?

Optimization of a Batch Type Ethyl Ester Process -- a sure-fire
recipe for biodiesel from ethanol (which you can make yourself),
instead of methanol (which is toxic, fossil-fuel derived, and you
can't make it yourself).
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethyl_esters.html

>I have lived in Mexico, Costa Rica, Peru, Ecuador, St. Vincent & Grenada
>(Caribbean) over the last six years. Used vegitable oil is either nearly
>non-existant or non-existant due to high extreme poverty. The french fry oil
>and other restaurant and processing oils are used in other "recipes" and
>recycled with "fresh" oil.

Nice for the arteries, eh?

>With the exception of Mexico, I could find no
>supply of used oil.
>
>Methanol is very difficult to obtain without having an industrial permit
>(not easily obtainable) and certainly not without going to the capital and
>paying someone off. Ethanol is made in most every village and in back rooms.
>Due to the tropical environment (abundance of vegetation) ethanol is not a
>difficult item to produce. Using a molecular seive or collesar to extract
>the water may very well be an answer to the water mixing with ethanol.
>So...is it practical to make biodiesel with homemade ethanol (assuming that
>the water can be extracted from the alcohol first)???  Does anyone out there
>know?

Lots of information here: Ethyl-ester biodiesel
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_link.html#ethylester

See also:
Mother Earth Alcohol Fuel
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/meToC.html
The Manual for the Home and Farm Production of Alcohol Fuel
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_manual/manual_ToC.html

>ALSO, if algae is grown next to the ocean, using brine and the natural high
>temperatures found in the aforementioned countries, can the algae cake (left
>after extracting the oil) be used as part of the formula to make ethanol?
>Has anyone tried raising algae?

Try an archive search, you'll find quite a lot of information,
including messages from members who've gone into this and concluded
it's not practicable without a LOT of infrastructure.

Best

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Tokyo
http://journeytoforever.org/

>Thank you in advance for any information you may have regarding these
>matters.
>
>Gerry

Quit now for Great
American Smokeout