From: MH [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2002 10:28 PM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [biofuel] Hydrogen Fuel vs Dino Diesel

> A fuel cell should produce more energy.

Agreed.  But having read a fuel cell is up to 80% efficient ÷
   80 percent - efficiency of the electric motor/inverter
× 30 to 40 percent - efficiency converting methanol to electricity
× 80 percent - efficiency converting electricity to mechanical power

> Correct me if I am wrong
> but I am under the impression a diesel efficiency is measured
> as the fraction of the theoretical Carnot of an thermal oxidation
reaction.
> Emphasis on thermal.

Understood.

> Although a fuel cell oxidizes what is measured instead is the
electrochemical energy
> of combination, ie. an electron a a certain potential. It is an ordered
> process and has nothing to do with thermal Carnot calculations.
> Thus a gallon of fuel may take you 200 miles, something a thermal process
cannot.

What I think is being discussed is a internal combustion engine wastes fuel
due to incomplete combustion,
deciding hills, slowing down, idling.  Regeneration would provide some
energy.
Could you provide some examples as I would like to understand more.
Links to further information is kindly welcomed, thank you.

> Present electrical cars leave a great deal to be desired.
> To just replace an engine with an electrical motor is enormously wasteful.
> An electrical motor doesn't need a clutch to get rolling as it is quite
> happy to smoothly develop force/time from zero RPM.
> The only objection I can see to a motor in each wheel is the unsprung
weight.
> Every other criteria seems to want to put it there.
> Gearbox mass and gear loss would be avoided as well as the cost of
manufacture.
> Kirk

Plus less moving parts.  It would seem to potentially increase ones fuel
economy.

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.