For anyone interested in the continuing saga of refining techniques
for cleaning the free fatty acids out of waste vegetable oil, I have new
results. Micro-Cel T49 is a synthetic calcium silicate from Celite
Corporation (rep is Seegott:)

http://www.seegott.com/companies/celite.html

It's intended for adsorbing FFA's from edible oil in the fryer oil
filtration units, and also on a commercial scale. It's physically much
like talcum powder (talc is magnesium silicate), and absorbs 70%
of its weight in FFA's. Then you have to filter it out.
I added 15 g. of Micro-Cel to a liter of WVO which titrated at 1.6,
warmed it in the microwave, stirred it a bit, let sit for half an hour,
and filtered 100ml or so thru a coffee filter -- titration was now
0.5 ml !!  Pretty simple.....now to build a proper filtration tray.
Oh, BTW, the stuff is not cheap -- about $2.50 USD per pound
in 50 lb bags. A helluva lot easier than refining with lye, tho.

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM