Pu241 wrote:

>Interesting chemistry there!
>Any idea how the FFA are removed?
>Bound to the calcium silicate matrix somehow I presume!

CaSiO3 is really CaO.SiO2. I believe the CaO actually acts as
a base, "saponifying" the FFA's into the insoluble silicate crystal.
I know research was also done on using Na2SiO3 and its variants
(i.e., waterglass), but I didn't have much luck with that.
The Celite Corp. actually does offer a MgSiO3 oil treatment powder
("Celkate") but it seems to be intended to remove coloration more
than FFAs.

>Wonder if a calcium meta silicate may work as well!
>Natural mineral, Wollastonite, much cheaper, cents/lb.
>As you said Talc, magnesium silicate is also cents/lb.
>Have you tried Talc?

No, but these are all fine ideas to pursue...

>Wouldn't think the Ca vs Mg would make much difference!
>I have acess to both talc and wollastonite, both in commerical
>grades and very clean, made for the plastics industry. Material can
>be had in several partical sizes!

Let us know!

>Just thought about zeolites (Magnesiun Aluminium silicates)
>or even clays (complexes of NA,K,Na,Mg,Al silicates)

All wonderful materials which I'm already using in other areas.
If you really want to make your head hurt, think about using
any or all of these very same materials as basic solid catalysts to
do a transesterification reaction without standard alkali OR acid.

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM