http://www.stjoenews-press.com/Main.asp?SectionID=81&SubSectionID=272&;
ArticleID=24821
St. Joseph News-Press
Biodiesel plant sites considered

By SUSAN MIRES
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

At least three communities in the area are potential sites for
biodiesel refineries.

Representatives of Zambrana Engineering of St. Louis will visit St.
Joseph in the next few weeks to evaluate the potential for a plant,
said Lynn Parman of the St. Joseph Area Chamber of Commerce.

Biodiesel is gaining attention as an alternative fuel made from
soybeans and other plant and animal products. Zambrana is considering
building several plants in Missouri.

"They're interested in St. Joseph because of the existing industry,"
Ms. Parman said. "They want to partner with companies that have
byproducts that can be made into biodiesel."

Zambrana formed another company, North American Biorefinery
Resources, to convert crops and animal wastes into energy. The
business also is considering Bethany, Mo., as a potential location
for a plant and held an informational meeting there in January.

In Doniphan County, officials are working to attract a biodiesel
facility. A public meeting will be held in Wathena, Kan., on Tuesday
to gauge community support for the project.

"We hope to see what the interest is, gather our thoughts and go from
there," said Galen Weiland, economic development coordinator for the
county.

The meeting begins at 7 p.m. at the Wathena Community Building.
Speakers from Kansas State Research and Extension will explain the
basics of soydiesel production. Melissa Younggren of the Kansas
Department of Commerce and Housing and Gail Murphy of Equity
Financial Resources will talk about commercial and financial aspects
of biodiesel projects.

An industry that uses raw agriculture products is a good fit for the
region, Mr. Weiland said.

"We absolutely want to put a biorefinery right here in Doniphan
County," he said.

Soybean farmers have promoted biodiesel as an ecologically safe
alternative fuel. The fuel is used by metro bus systems in St. Louis
and Kansas City, as well as in buses at Northwest Missouri State
University.

"As we build the market, we see the need to build a production plant
in the state," said Jessica Callow of the Missouri Soybean
Association.

The group expects demand to reach 4 million gallons by next year.
U.S. Sen. Kit Bond, R-Mo., recently announced that if a farmer-owned
biodiesel plant is built in the state, it would most likely be
located in Mexico, Mo.

A bill has been introduced in the Missouri Senate to give grants to
qualified biodiesel producers. A bill in the Missouri House would
require state vehicles to use a 20 percent blend of biodiesel

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM