Motie wrote:

<snip>

>This is the one I just moved out of my yard.
>http://www.peterbilt.com/index_gal_mod_desc.asp?model=model379
>
>The photo is even the same color, except I have a lot more chrome and
>lights. 600 Horsepower, gets 7 MPG at 70 MPH loaded to 90,000 pounds.
>Top speed of 105 MPH with 18 speed double-overdrive transmission.
>Weighs 18,600 pounds empty. $142,000 new in '98.
>With full-locking differentials and tire chains, it will lift the
>front wheels off the ground in a hard pull on a logging road. Fuel
>mileage is reduced considerably. How many trips would it take for a
>half-ton pickup to carry 60,000 pounds of payload, and how much fuel
>would be burned on a 100 mile (one-way) haul? Also compute the
>difference in driver's wages to haul 3 loads/day for a week.
>These trucks definitely have a place. Towing a boat should not have
>to be one of them. Legislators need to let users of light trucks
>continue to use them.

Wow! I see what you mean - I want one! I want two! (One for Midori.)
(Who's 5ft and a little bit.)

No, you're right. It's ridiculous, confusing toys and tools. SUVs are
cars, not light trucks. That's half my complaint about the
unsuitability of most modern 4x4s for real work, like what we'll have
to do with them. The old Land Rovers, Land Cruisers, Patrols and so
on weren't cars, they were little trucks - built like trucks, with
frames and stuff, professional. Not the current crop. They're nearly
all big cars, not trucks at all. Consumer stuff, built to be replaced
as styles change. Hence my interest in Pinzgauers and Unimogs.

There's no good reason that SUVs couldn't be a lot more economical
than they are, without sacrificing power. Just bad reasons - flabby
companies on corporate welfare dragging their feet. Consumer
pressure's the answer, but there's such a lot of spin.

Regards

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects