>Peter,
>
>Racers blend oil with their alcohol, making it less than desireable
>as a component for manufacturing biodiesel.
>
>If the alcohol in question is purchased before anything is added, it
>should be fine.
>
>The racers probably get their alcohol in bulk. If you can find out
>where the bulk plant is located, you should be able to get the
>methanol for about the same price as a gallon of gasoline.
>
>Todd Swearingen

That young feller Todd is a mine of useful information!

Now why would they go and put oil in it? Would it have anything to do
with this below? If it's factual, it's a bit of an eye-opener, puts a
bit of a damper on the idea that it's no bad thing to have a bit of
excess methanol in your biodiesel if you don't wash it because it's
great fuel anyway, racers use it after all.

>"But some cars run entirely on another fluid. Methanol is the only
>fuel that the Indy car will drink. As we said before, the internals
>of the engine have a lot to do with the fuel it burns and this is
>true in spades here. The pure methol alcohol is highly corrosive to
>some metals. It can turn aluminum into a white powdery mess that
>resembles baking soda in very short order. Plus it mixes very well
>with water so anything steel will rust overnight. The internals of
>the entire fuel system has to be Teflon and stainless steel and even
>the fuel bladder in the car has to be made from a special compound,
>the valve seats have to be brass.
>
>*The corrosion problem means that none is left in the engine
>overnight -- even the cylinder walls if steel, have to be fogged
>with oil so they won't rust for even the shortest of storage time*.
>
>Sounds like pretty bad stuff with a lot of negatives.  Oh yeah,  I
>almost forgot it only has about half the heat energy of gasoline so
>a regular race car that would get 4 miles to the gallon of gas goes
>only 2 miles on methanol that's not quite  a full lap of the
>Indianapolis Race Track of 2.5 miles.  "
>
>"So why even consider this stuff as a race fuel? Well remember the
>octane thing and its tie to performance, well methanol has an
>incredibly high natural octane in its pure form."
>
>http://www.racerchicks.com/auto/q_and_a/fueracel.html

Best

Keith

Buy Stock for $4