  From: Eric Ruttan
  To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 4:23 PM
  Subject: Re: [biofuel] ignition retarding & cetane & fuel properties

  I belive Heat of Vaporization is irrelavant in a diesel, as cooling is not
  important, and detonation is not possable.  The artical does not mention
  that.

  I would like verification of my understanding.

  Thanks
  Eric

  >From: MH Reply-To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
  >Subject: Re: [biofuel] ignition retarding & cetane & fuel properties

  <snip>

  >  Heat of Vaporization
  >  Heat of vaporization affects engine power and efficiency. It is the
  >  amount of heat absorbed by a fuel as it evaporates from a liquid
  >  state, which occurs when the fuel is mixed with air prior to
  >  combustion. Higher heat of vaporization leads to improved
  >  cooling ability. Higher cooling during the intake stroke of a
  >  spark-ignition engine results in a denser air/fuel mixture. A
  >  denser mixture has two effects: (1) it allows for greater power,
  >  and (2) it permits a greater compression ratio, which improves
  >  power and efficiency. However, although a high heat of
  >  vaporization improves power and efficiency, it also adds to coldstart
  >  problems when there is little heat in the air or in the engine
  >  to vaporize the fuel prior to spark ignition.
  >  The alcohol fuels have much higher heats of vaporization than
  >  gasoline or diesel.

  <sniped>

  Please do NOT send &quot;unsubscribe&quot; messages to the list address.

Kwick Pick opens locked car doors,
front doors, drawers, briefcases,
padlocks, and more. On sale now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ehaLqB/Fg5DAA/Ey.GAA/FGYolB/TM