Eric wrote:

>I think I should have to disagree about the loud pipes on bikes though.
>
>We know that 4 out of 5  motorcycle accidents are the cars fault.  Cars
>notice bikes with loud pipes.

... Yes, and it probably annoys them and makes them more aggressive.
On two wheels it's best to regard the four-wheelers as a bunch of
homicidal maniacs who're personally out to get you. Best to slip past
as quickly and unobtrusively as possible before they get a chance to
side-swipe you "by accident". Paranoia maybe, but I'm still alive!
Apart from that, oncoming traffic is less tempted to kill you so ride
with your headlights on so they can see you.

Loud pipes... Last place I expected such things was Japan, but I was
wrong. You get these kids here, 18 or 19 I guess, usually with quite
small bikes, maybe 250-350cc, very stylised, and VERY LOUD INDEED!!!
It's a cult. They take the mufflers off and fit megaphones instead,
and their behaviour is extremely bizarre. Mostly very late at night,
like 2 or 3 am maybe, they ride around in ones and twos, ride for a
few seconds, then pull the clutch in and rev the engine up as high as
it'll go - vroom vroom VROOOOOM VVRRROOOOMMMM!!!!! - then on again
for another few seconds. Sheesh! The riding style is even more
bizarre, riding along a straight road leaning heavily from side to
side as they go. Weirdest thing I've ever seen on a bike, highly
obnoxious. I reckon in the States they'd get themselves shot. SO SEND
THEM THERE!! Mumble mumble...

Keith