From: Harmon Seaver [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2002 6:18 AM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [biofuel] Re: EPA Ruling Backfires, Spurs Sales of Diesel
Trucks

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 05:43:38PM +0900, Keith Addison wrote:
> Eric wrote:
>
> >I think I should have to disagree about the loud pipes on bikes though.
> >
> >We know that 4 out of 5  motorcycle accidents are the cars fault.  Cars
> >notice bikes with loud pipes.
>
> ... Yes, and it probably annoys them and makes them more aggressive.

   Yes, it sure does. I owned bikes most of my adult life, starting with a
Harley, then a Norton 600, then a Norton 750, etc. Never thought of myself
as
anti-bike, but when a Harley with straight pipes is next to me in traffic, I
definitely have a real strong urge to just turn the steering wheel rapidly
in
his direction. I doubt I'd ever hit the brakes to avoid one turning in front
of
me.
   For the last 14 years or so the only bike I've had is pretty quiet,
except
for my puffing and huffing.
   I know what you mean about these morons and their deliberate noise
making,
get woken up by them all the time. Same with the stereos -- we've been woken
up
by car stereos in the dead of Winter, when it was below zero, so I know they
had
their windows rolled up, yet the noise was making our house windows rattle.

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix

---