--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Neil and Adele Craven" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

  <snip>
  The first letter designates engine. Here in canada you could get a BJ60 (3B
  4 cylinder normally aspirated diesel), an HJ60 (which had the 2H engine, the
  best landcruiser engine ever in my opinion), and an FJ 60 (which has the 2F
  petrol engine).
  Ah yes forgot the old BJ's good tough truck.

  The second letter is always J. I believe it means that the vehicle is
  japanese. It may be a ripoff of the american CJ jeep.
  Not quite true any more the diesel in the 80 series is the 1hz or the 1hd t
for the early factory turbo (big problems with bottom bearings in the turbo)
This was replaced with the 1hdft multivalve turbo diesel and more recently by
the  1hdfte which has electronic control of the fuel pump.
  Petrol engines were the 3f quickly replaced by the 1fzfe 24 valve 4.5litre as
found in the lx450 cruisers in the states.

  Therefore the model range was hzj80  and fzj 80 amongst others  thus the J
became the third letter.  The model designation is officially j6 for the 60
series and j8 80series etc.

  The number is the model designation, it ranges from the 40's (jeep style -
  the classic looking land cruiser, very similar to a classic land rover), the
  55, which posesses it's own very "distinct" styling, and the 60 which is a
  station wagon type vehicle. There are many others but they are extremely
  rare up here (canada) and I don't want to misinform anyone.

  Diesel land cruisers make great candidates for conversions to SVO or WVO, or
  to be run on biodiesel. They are very robust and will last a long time,
  mileages of 300 000 miles are not uncommon. The only problem for US citizens
  is that Toyota never sold diesel LC's in the states, only in canada, and
  they are usually very rusty up here. Diesel Land Cruisers for sale in the
  states are always from canada, or other sources, but they are prime
  candidates for major corrosion damage.

  My intercooled turbo diesel 1hz 80 series runs very nicely on Biodiesel,
though with the twin tank setup standard, it could easily be used for SVO with
only the pump return to worry about.

  Some other list members may have had similar experiences as I believe that
  the vehicle enjoyed a rather incredible success worldwide. The land cruiser
  is one of the only vehicles that had only one major instance of built-in
  obsolescence. A biodegradable body. Everything else was designed to last
  forever.

  ____

  This is one of my rare postings to this list, I believe that I speak for all
  the lurkers out there that we appreciate the people who go to great lengths
  to educate and enlighten us. Thank you...

  J-L

  1966 Land-Rover 109
  Being converted to MB 300 5 cylinder turbodiesel/WVO

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

--- End forwarded message ---