----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2002 20:07
Subject: Re: [biofuel] Fwd: Hydrogen Economy greatly overrated, biomass
underrated...

> >>Another hydrogen problem I haven't heard discussed is that it
> >>contracts chemically 1/3 on burning according to
> >>
> >>H2 + 1/2 O2 [1.5 moles or voumes] ===> H2O [1 mole]
> >>
> >>by contrast, methane gets full value, since     CH4 + 2 O2 [3 moles]
> >>===> CO2 + 2 H2O [3moles]
>
> I did not understand this, nor why it is supposed to be a big problem.

The typical car works with the expansion of gas, not the contraction which
happens with H2. The H2 and the needed amount of O2 needed to burn the H2,
take up more space than the H2O vapor.  Try to develop a engine that runs by
producing a vacuum.

> I didn't really find this piece, overall, to be as compelling an
indictment of H2 as the
> author I guess intended.  He did not mention what I have said before is my
own top
> objection to H2 (the global H2 depletion argument... seldom mention or
respected by
> anyone).

While H2 depletion is an on going thing at an extremely slow rate ( at the
very highest edges of the atmosphere ), I doubt that it is anything that
needs to be worried about for several hundreds of thousands of years. The
earths gravity will insure that it will be a slow process. If need be. we
can use that time to learn how to mine the gas giants directly for H2, and
the ort cloud for ice. Perhaps by then, we will have fusion or anti-matter.

Greg H.

Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM