Well Shari I can tell you this. maintenance  maintenance. Do your Fall
vehicle check. Check the block heater. Make sure it is working and that the
cord is not frayed. I dont know what kind of diesel this is so will keep it
generic. If possible either check yourself or have someone check the glow
plugs to make sure they are all working. Certain years of GM diesels had a
tough time keeping the glowplugs together. Now you can get plugs that will
stay together even if the controller fails. If you plug your block heater in
at night or the night before you need to use it then you should not have any
problems. Another thing to double check is the batteries. On larger diesel
engines there is almost always 2 good heavy duty batteries. If yours have
been around a while you may want to have them tested or perhaps just
replaced. I actually use 3 of the best "sport" rated batteries that Les
Schwab sells to start my rig('95 6.5 turbocharged in a '83 chevy sport van).
Cranking speed is critical since a cold engine will rapidly absorb the
compression heat generated when the piston goes up. If the air is not hot
enough when the injector fires then all you will get is white smoke. And if
the engine cranks slowly then the head and cylinder walls have a tendency to
absorb enough heat to keep it from fireing.  3 batteries gives me that extra
Amperage to get it to start even if one of the batteries is starting to
fail. Good luck..

--Bryan