On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 17:09, you wrote:
> Hehehe, well, I wish it were that cut and dry. Hence
> the reason I use both. Unlike the adds, I can't do everything
> I need to do on one machine. I use one for music, surfing,
> and graphics. The PC for Trading stocks, programming
> Pic processors and programming math apps. I've been
> using both and programming on both since I was 10 years
> old. I am now 32. They both crash about the same. They
> are both about the same speed although my G4 has dual
> 867's, the PC has 1.5ghz single. They both are made
> from cheap parts from Asia, and yet they both do what
> I need them to do. I would however love do to a poll with
> users of both machines. I am sure we would find very
> liberal people mostly using Mac. But I've been wrong before.
>
> We can debate this over normal email if you like however.
> I'm always up for some good nerd talk = ) I'm sure the list
> would appreciate it as well.
>
> Tad

Well all I can say is that I have a PC built from economical Asian parts, &
it never crashes. Occasionally it gets turned off (maybe once in 3 months)
due to Lightning (as I am in the country) but otherwise it never needs
resetting. Very occasionally a program will crash, but this never requires
resetting the system. Even installing software never requires a reset.
        The reason I get this reliability is that I run NO Microsoft (or
similar Co)
software. Yes, I run Linux, & have done so for over 2 years.
        Do I miss all those commercial programs? Not any more. I have found
public
licenced S/w to replace all that I ever used on my previous commercial O/s. I
also run NO antivirus program. (not needed as there are a minimal number of
Linux viruses around (Yes, this may change later, but it is true at present.)
        For the curious I run Mandrake distribution on my Workstation,
currently
8.2, but shortly 9.0 . I run Debian on a local server as a file store, and a
great program/system on my firewall (an old Pentium 150, 24M, 200M hdd)
called IPCop.
        IPCop is recommended as a firewall - it takes about 20 minutes to set
up on
an old Klunker, then is managed with a browser off the slave machine.

regards Doug
(Don't get me started on Linux - I think the system is great, well worth the
learning curve.)

Home Selling? Try Us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/jd3IAA/FGYolB/TM